audrey

holes in my brain

status: Goodreads import in progress.

I'm just like you!

Uncommon Criminals (Heist Society Novels)

Uncommon Criminals - Ally Carter full review on my blog, holes In My brainYou know what? I think I finally figured it out. This book is about a con, Katarina Bishop’s con.. but it’s also a con itself. It’s a con on the reader, me, in which Carter and Kat spin an elaborate plot that refuses to give in to any suspicions yet makes the reader fidget with anticipation. It’s a con that leaves me feeling as if I’ve been taken for a ride, yet I can barely get a grasp on what type of ride it is. It’s not simply a book telling a story, it’s an insanely fun, addicting and entertaining experience. I find I rather like being conned.Uncommon Criminals is a sequel, but in some ways it feels like a second episode as opposed to a sequel with an overlapping plot arc from book 1. People and names are carried over, yet the heist is completely new. However, it’s when Carter brings back the old characters that I feel that I’ve finally slipped back into my favourite jeans. Kat, Gabrielle, Simon, Hale (HALE!)… they’re bright, quirky, completely lovable, and make the book come alive.I adored the crew in book 1, and I’m not disappointed when Uncommon Criminals brings them back in full stride. The tension between Kat and Hale (HALE!) is dangerously good as something effortlessly hovers between them despite few words spoken. Love it. As much as I love the rest of the characters, I really wished they could have been developed better. On the surface, they’re gloriously interesting but there’s very little beneath the shiny exterior.The plot is just as I hoped, it’s high-stakes and expansive, and it’s also very much about Kat. Events and people revolved around her, which I thought was interesting but also a bit too… centered. I wanted a bit more overall development, I guess. The book was very slightly predictable, but there’s enough twists to keep things different—along with a colourful cast to keep me engaged. It's the way that the story was told that I think made it like a 'con', readers are never given the full story, only bits and pieces in order to formulate theories, only to have another surprise pop up a few pages later.I’ve never really been a fan of Carter’s writing, but it’s not something that really bothered me in this book so I won’t focus too much about it. Third person POV and felt a bit too repetitive is what I’ll say.It’s hard to really sum up how I felt about it. On one hand I felt this book had flaws and plot holes that hurt my suspension of disbelief, but on the other hand I was completely entertained by the shin-digs of Kat and her crew. I thought the plot was very well done, and honestly, at the end of the day, this book made me happy.:)4/5 – because it’s entertaining and kept a smile on my face. I love all the characters in this book, but wish they had a bit more depth to them. Hale remains one of my favourite fictional boys, and I’m loving the way Carter is handling the Kat’s well… life ;) Oceans 13? Bring it on! Great plot, likeable characters...a fabulous book with all the sparkle!