audrey

holes in my brain

status: Goodreads import in progress.

I'm just like you!

Feeling Sorry for Celia

Feeling Sorry for Celia - Jaclyn Moriarty full and properly formated review can be found on my blog, holes In My brain 4.5/5What I felt was just okay:1. The plot. I found it was hard to carry on a plot that will keep me flipping pages just because of the format, although I will say I definitely kept flipping pages because the whole package was just so entertaining.Who I didn’t like:1. C + S (you can probably figure out who they are)2. The Manager of “The Society of People Who Are Definitely Going to Fail High School (and Most Probably Life as Well!)”… I swear that this guy is hiding in my brain right now.What I loved:1. The dynamics of friendship Moriarty managed to include in her novel, the fact that she emphasizes the growth and change of relationships.. the bonds that mend and break and form... just gorgeous.2. The humour!! Again, this book was FUNNY. HILARIOUS, even. I think what I enjoyed the most weren’t the anonymous notes or the letters from Celia.. no, it was the ‘letters’ from the various ‘societies’ aka Elizabeth’s subconscious, including… * The Association of Teenagers. * Take a Deep Breath and Calm Down Society. * COLD HARD TRUTH ASSOCIATION. * The Society of Beautiful People (SOB. P). * Young Romance Association. * The Instant Replay Society. * Best Friends Club * … and many more.3. The mother-father-daughter-stepbrother-stepmother-etc thing going on. The Family thing. It’s not simply restricted to funny, there is definitely a layer of depth that is emotionally honest.4. Christina. And the fact that it's not all about Elizabeth.5. The unpredictability at the end regarding the boy ;)6. The ending itself, I found it was a realistic and even idealistic result of everything that went on through the course of the book. It felt like the natural flow of things as people, teens especially, undergo change. I loved that it never felt forced.7. The honesty behind the novel, which I found held together the strong foundation. Moriarty writes adolescent feelings in such a believable manner, it never comes out contrived or clichéd, just truth. Elizabeth was such a relatable character with both major and minor problems that are gradually developed, and honestly I would love to spend a day with her, she’s that awesome. * And I'll include a quote that made me laugh out loud, it's when Elizabeth is writing to Christina: Thanks for skipping commerce to write to me too. I’m skipping liturgical dance right now to write to you, but it’s not really a fair exchange. I mean, I can’t think of a single point in my life where I’m going to be in crisis because of not knowing how to dance liturgically.Feeling Sorry for Celia is a uniquely humourous, entertaining and honest book that holds much more insight to teenage life than many YA books can hope for.