audrey

holes in my brain

status: Goodreads import in progress.

I'm just like you!

Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow

Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow - Nathan Bransford full review on my blog, holes In My brainJacob Wonderbar. I feel that should be in all caps: JACOB WONDERBAR! I can subconsciously associate a lot of things with this, and I think just the title says a lot. It’s extravagant, fun, quirky and entertaining.I don’t read much Middle Grade fiction, in fact, I rarely wander out of my YA bubble but every once in a while I notice something and read it for kicks—like in this case. Jacob Wonderbar didn’t blow me away, but it was a welcome distraction from homework. Guys. It takes place in OUTER SPACE. Win.I thought the writing read easily, but it could be slightly awkward at times. A combination of third person narrative, flipping characters, and strange word choices, there might have been some missing poetic quality but honestly? At the end of the day, it didn’t really matter. It’s something I think fits really well with younger audiences.The stand-out of Bransford’s novel is the plot; I’m grinning madly just thinking about it. There’s no confinement to this imaginative adventure as everything from corn dogs to a planet named after paisley is involved. The pacing remains consistently fun, with the short chapters and quirky plot keeping readers hooked and eager to finish. The characters are well rounded and lovable, even the villains. Can I count the spaceships as characters too? Because they are very not-boring.Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow is an amusing tale that offers a combination of humour, action, entertainment and heart.3.5/5 – because I really enjoyed this one. It’s not bam-bam-bam action, but it is a great blend of plot and characters and giggle-worthy moments. It pushes the boundaries of believability in a manner that YA just can’t pull off, and I commend Bransford for this inventive and original novel.