audrey

holes in my brain

status: Goodreads import in progress.

I'm just like you!

The Spectacular Now

The Spectacular Now - Tim Tharp

There's something endearing and beautiful about a boy who wants to save someone yet desperately needs his own saving.

There's something thoughtful and realistic about writing about imperfect people trying to do their best in life and life nonchalantly swatting them back.

There's something sad about books that portray lives as less than ideal we hope for and trick ourselves into believing.

There's something that makes me smile and tugs at my heart when characters are flawed and real and drink too much, who crave people and love and passion, who think about futures and think about nows, and there's something so deeply wonderful about books that can assure you that life isn't a fairy tale but there are individuals in life who make it worth living.

I loved the ending. I loved the writing, Sutter's narration (he'll be a hit-or-miss for readers), and Aimee's portrayal. The dialogue is fantastic and Tharp really understood the idea of showing not telling, especially when it came to Sutter Keely. Readers end up forming a clearer picture of him than even he can fathom, and I think that is the heart of the story and that is the reason why this book was so touching.

I'll just leave you with a few quotes.

"...Let me repeat, she is not a girl I'm interested in having sex with. Not now or any time in the future. I will not have sex with her in a car. I will not have sex with her in a bar. I will not have sex with her in a tree. I will not have sex with her in a lavator-ee. I will not have sex with her in a chair. I will not have sex with her anywhere."

"Oh right, I forgot. You're out to save her soul. Give me a hallelujah for Brother Sutter and his messianic complex.""My what?""Messianic complex. That means you think you have to go around trying to save everybody.""Not everybody. Just this one girl."

"Yeah," she says. I'm beginning to see that her "yeahs" are almost always two syllables, one for "yes" and the other for "but I don't know if anything will ever come out of it."

"...But I don't want just Thursday afternoons either. I don't want just moments. I want a whole life."