audrey

holes in my brain

status: Goodreads import in progress.

I'm just like you!

Never Let Me Go (Vintage International)

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro full review can be found on my blog, holes In My brain4.5/5Never Let Me Go is a haunting tale that is full of atmosphere and character. A break from the typical YA novel, it was a refreshingly compelling novel that I had no trouble getting in to, whether it was because of the eye-opening subject matter or the writing itself.The world built by Ishiguro is alarmingly subtle, as were the ‘secrets’, or should I just say ‘tragic truths’. However, this doesn’t hold him back from exploring the depths of humanity, from resentment and betrayal to love and beauty. But holding the tendrils together was poetic writing that brought out true, heart-felt emotion.Kathy’s character doesn’t come across as the most sympathetic, yet I felt under her rather weak demeanour was a resiliency. Her love for Ruth and Tommy could be slightly un-understandable at times (man, Ruth could be a bitch!) but in the end when the pieces fell together, I couldn’t ask for anything more. Kathy’s narration kept me hooked in the way her words felt intimate, as if she were telling the story just to me, filling it with small details that seem rather irrelevant in context but relevant in style.As the story progresses, the characters continue stumbling towards their inevitable fate, but not in a way you would expect. The last pages were utterly heartbreaking, with all the tiny details having been built up and built up...It’s hard to accurately ‘review’ this to be honest, but I do sincerely hope this post has caught your attention for the book, and if you’re even remotely interested, that you give this a try. If you have read this book, you would better understand what I mean when I say: Never let Me Go has soul.