audrey

holes in my brain

status: Goodreads import in progress.

I'm just like you!

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies Series #1)

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies Series #1) - full review can be found on my blog, holes In My brainI AM NUMBER FOUR is the type of book that will be snatched up by YA readers who want a break from the dominant genres of contemporary and paranormal. It is a refreshing read with a great premise that Lore really pulled off. One of the things I loved about this novel is Lore’s ability to build the world and history of Lorien that actually made me care about it, it’s a planet millions of miles away in a fictional world but I was still interested. The concept of aliens coming to earth, the Nine, Legacies, Garde and Cepan, and the Mogadorians who hunt them.. all of it felt really original (because I rarely read sci-fi or alien books).I’m usually a fan of male perspective books but I felt this book’s writing was ‘middle of the pack’. The voice could definitely have been more distinct because many times it felt too ‘narrative’ and not enough ‘personality’. This is mostly a personal preference because I’m sure many people don’t mind either way. Another thing this novel lacked was character development and depth. Throughout the novel there could have been a lot of opportunities for character growth for both primary and secondary characters which didn’t really occur. What you see is what you get for characters (minus one though).I will say that the protagonist, John Smith, is likable, as is the love interest. I didn’t really feel the spark between him and Sarah but I thought the romance was cute. His new friend Sam is one of my favourite characters too, a total sweetheart geek! Basically, all of the characters are likable but a bit underwhelming. I did appreciate John's desire to be 'normal' in high school though.I think the thing about my reading experience is that I kept picturing the novel as a movie, and in this regard it was extremely entertaining. I had clear pictures of characters in my head and all the action and storyline development could definitely work on the big screen. I think the way John’s different legacies, or powers, came about would look wicked in a movie, they were already cool in the book. Lastly, I loved the climax and anticlimax, so awesome!!