audrey

holes in my brain

status: Goodreads import in progress.

I'm just like you!

The Mockingbirds

The Mockingbirds - Daisy Whitney Read the full review on my blog, holes In My brainI organize my bookshelf by having my favourite hardbacks on a row, and when I finished THE MOCKINGBIRDS, there was no question that it would be safely nestled with good company. Daisy Whitney really tackled a tough issue with dignity and authenticity, I was instantly lulled into the scheme of things from the very first page to the fitting conclusion. The very serious undertones fortunately never became condescending or preachy, thank god. So yeah, it rocked.As most people commented, this is a very character driven novel, Alex’s personal journey to cope with her date rape is extremely well written and explored. While I didn’t find her character the most lovable, she was undoubtedly a very sympathetic one. Alex makes a mistake—teenagers do that believe it or not—but she doesn’t wallow in self-pity, she does something about it, showing her strength as a character.The whole aspect of The Mockingbirds (the student group, that is) was fascinating, I loved the idea of it all and the way it was run. I felt some members were a bit flat, they were all up-standing students that lacked real personality so I definitely would have liked to see more of them. However, I totally adored the whole boarding school shenanigan, I felt the author really captured the aura of competitiveness (and homework!) and relationships between students. Also, the references to To Kill a Mockingbird and classical music made me smile.Which brings me to comment, I love the dynamics of friendship between Alex and her roommates. It was refreshing and felt true, each character had her own place in the story and not just ‘stuck in there because our MC needs a bff’. So yay.A weaker part of the plot might have been the romance for me, I found it lacked spark, if you get what I mean. It was too ideal it probably doesn’t bode well that two weeks later (as I’m writing this) I don’t even remember the guy’s name. Lastly, the writing in this novel was very strong, these debut authors have some serious skill! I was easily engrossed with the story, and it was legit one of those totally addicting books!