audrey

holes in my brain

status: Goodreads import in progress.

I'm just like you!

Miles from Ordinary

Miles from Ordinary - Carol Lynch Williams full review on my blog, holes In My brainIf there was an author who could write a voice and emotions of a young teen as well as Carol Lynch Williams, I will be surprised. Lacey, the fourteen year old protagonist, has such a sweet and unique tone that drew me into her story and into her dark world. The writing is extremely impressive, and set the mood and atmosphere well, along with moving along a plot that seems to have been stretched out. Miles from Ordinary takes place in a single day, and I think this adds originality to the novel. There could have been a lot of times when an idea of this goes south, when it drags and drags, but Lynch keeps a tight leash on most of the story. Through this small time frame, readers still get various flashbacks of Lacey to learn her history and better understand her relationships. I enjoyed this aspect of it and thought it done in a clean, relevant manner.I loved Lacey as the narrator, mostly because she was such a sweet, caring kid towards her mother. The amount of responsibility she has versus the freedom she longs for (such as crushing on boys) was nicely contrasted. Also, her delight at the library and with books in general made me smile :) Her character growth in one day is phenomenal, and it’s the small bits and pieces that help her reach the final revelation.Despite strong writing and characters, I never really fell in love with the plot. I felt that while kind of adorable, the events with Aaron were extremely unrealistic (mainly due to the one-day timeline) and during the end of the book, the book started to get a bit… wacky. I will say the mannequin part scared the heck out of me ;)While I think the ending gets odd, I will say I really enjoyed the way the story started escalating half-way through and doesn’t really slow down. As things get tenser and random things occur, the novel gets better and kept me hooked. 3/5 – because while I adored the writing and the well-portrayed narrator, I wished the plot could have been more engaging at the beginning. The way Williams created the complicated character of Lacey, through small quirks and reactions made her come alive—which I loved. Overall, I think this relatively short novel can be both heartbreaking and uplifting, and is made for a memorable read.